When purchasing a pass, you are acknowledging that you have read the rules below and that your rider(s) will abide by these rules. Failure to do so can result in suspension or expulsion from the bus at the sole discretion of the Yellow Bus Challenge team. No refunds will be issued for passes revoked for behavior-related issues.
Unless passes for multiple routes are purchased, riders are assigned to one route and one stop and must show their pass when boarding the bus. Children without a valid pass will not be permitted to ride. This includes occasional play dates, even if the friend has a pass for another route.
Waiting for the Bus
- Know when your bus departs and where to line up to catch the bus.
- Arrive five minutes before your scheduled departure time.
- Wait quietly at the stop.
Boarding the Bus
- Wait until the bus has stopped, and the bus driver says it’s OK to board.
- Show the bus driver your bus pass.
- Find a seat and sit down.
- Keep the aisle clear.
- Do not bring anything onto the bus that is not allowed at school.
Riding the Bus
- Remain seated at all times and keep body parts inside the bus at all times.
- Follow all bus driver instructions.
- Buckle your seat belt.
- Do not yell, curse, or show disrespect to drivers.
- Do not distract the driver or interfere with the driver’s operation of the bus.
- Do not stand while the bus is moving.
Disembarking the Bus
- Wait until the bus has stopped, and the bus driver says it is ok to disembark.
- Do not push or shove.
- Once you are off the bus, do not run in front of the bus or in between buses.
- Once a child exits the bus, he/she is the responsibility of his/her parents or guardians. If a student requires supervision once dropped off, plan to arrive early so as not to leave him/her unsupervised. Kindergarteners and first graders must be met by a guardian in order for the bus driver to release them in the afternoon. If they are not met by a guardian on the Blue, Green, or Red PM buses, then students will be brought to Del Mar Middle School where First Student will contact their parent for pick up. More than two failures by parent or guardians to pick up their students will result in a week-long suspension of bus privileges. Additional failures to do so will result in 30-day suspension up to expulsion.
Additional Behavior Guidelines
- Bus passes may not be shared.
- No eating, drinking or littering on the bus.
- No throwing objects on or at the bus.
- No bullying or harassment of others.
- No fighting, profanity or spitting.
- No vandalism of the bus, bus stop or surrounding property. Parents are responsible for paying for damage their children cause to the bus.
- No vaping, smoking or fire hazards on the bus.
- No illegal substance abuse or controlled substance use.
- No animals or hazardous materials or objects on the bus.
- All items brought on the bus should be in a backpack, except for approved musical instruments or sports equipment.
- A verbal warning will be issued by the driver for a student’s first minor behavior violation and documented with the JPA program manager.
- Further misbehavior may result in the child’s pass being suspended or revoked without refund. This decision is made at the sole discretion of the JPA Program Manager and First Student.
- Incident Report Forms and/or citations will be filed for each incident and parents and schools will be informed and will manage the student’s sanction.